Monday, November 23, 2015

Dark Chocolate Pecan Pie

Chocolate Pecan Pie. This classic holiday/Thanksgiving pie has a fresh new look.  The dark/bittersweet chocolate pecan pie is a chocolate lover's dream.  Absolutely delicious, rich, decadent, and the perfect addition to your meal. Alohamora Open a Book http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/ Make Ahead, recipe, pie, dessert,

I have had some good friends through the years that have thrown some pretty fantastic parties.  In college there were friends that threw a Pie Fest party.  All you had to bring to the party was a fork and an appetite for pie.  

When I lived in Denver a friend threw a Pumpkin Party every year the weekend before Thanksgiving.  She had a plethora of dishes all made out of pumpkin; everything was delicious!

Now that I live in Arizona one of the same friends from college throws an annual Pie Fest every year.  I'm telling you, friends that throw delicious food parties are the best kind of friends to have.  

My friends Pie Fest party is also a pie baking competition to earn a coveted Golden Fork.  I won a Golden Fork my first year for a Chocolate Raspberry Fig Pie (which I definitely need to share that recipe with you soon).  Last year I brought my Pumpkin Cheesecake, and this year I brought this Chocolate Pecan Pie.  

I totally say Pecan as Pee-can.  How do you say it?  

Pecan Pie is a classic pie that should be at every Thanksgiving or Holiday feast.  However, I am a big Chocolate Fan and feel a dark chocolate pecan pie would make the perfect addition to any meal.  As a bonus, make this pie ahead of time for a less stressful baking/cooking day.   
I 've always liked pecan pie, but I absolutely love the rich decadence in this Bittersweet Chocolate Pecan Pie.  Absolutely delicious!


Chocolate Pecan Pie
Recipe: Alohamora adapted from my Mom
Active Time: 25 minutes
Inactive Time: 35 minutes + cooling time. 
Servings: 8-10

Ingredients: 
1 (9") pie crust, unbaked
1/3 c. butter
1/3 c. bittersweet chocolate chips
3 eggs
2/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp cocoa
1 c. light corn syrup
1 c. pecan pieces, chopped
1 c. pecan halves

Directions: 

  1. Preheat oven to 360 degrees.  I know that is a random number, but I like random and actually kind of the perfect temperature to not burn the crust but still cook the pie. 
  2. In a normal 9 inch pie pan lay your crust down; you do not need a deep dish pie pan.  You can use a store bough pie crust or make this super easy homemade pie crust.  
  3. In a small microwaveable bowl or saucepan melt the butter and chocolate chips together.  After melted stir to combine it and make the mixture smooth.  
  4. In a stand mixer or a medium to large bowl with a hand mixer beat the eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla, cocoa, corn syrup, and the melted butter/chocolate mixture together until well combined 
  5. Add the chopped pecan pieces and mix to combine everything in the pie filling.  
  6. Pour the pie filling batter into the unbaked pie crust shell. 
  7. Arrange the pecan halves on top, rounded side up, in whichever design your choose. I went with the swirl. 
  8. Use a pie crust shield or aluminum foil to cover the edges of the pie crust. 
  9. Bake the pie at 360 degrees for 30-40 minutes until the filling is set but not burned.  
  10. Remove pie from oven and let it cool until you are ready to serve.  
  11. Enjoy!
  12. Store leftover pie, or the fresh pie you made ahead of time b/c you are smart and a planner, covered on the counter or in the refrigerator.

Happy Classic Pie with a Twist, Dark Chocolate Pecan Pie eating! 


Do you have any favorite pies? 


No comments:

Post a Comment