Friday, October 30, 2015

The Gruffalo Cookie from a Cake Mix

The Gruffalo Cookie, inspired by the book The Guffalo is a delicious monster cookie perfect for Halloween or anytime really.  This cookie couldn't get much easier with the use of a cake mix.  Alohamora Open a Book http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/ cookies, recipe, easy, simple, fun, book inspired food, picture book


Today, my baby turns 1 years old.  With the stress of making costumes I almost forgot to do birthday shenanigans for her.  Poor girl!  I hope I don't do this every year.  

Luckily, a co-worker asked me what I was going to do for my daughter's birthday; this caused me to panic a little inside b/c I hadn't planned a single thing.  I mean I knew we were going to have a smash cake b/c may baby will actually smash it.  She loves food, and dessert especially, and when it comes to sweets she makes sure to get every last bite on her face, hair, body, or in her mouth.  I am ecstatic for the smash cake;  I hope my smashing expectations aren't too high. I will definitely have my camera ready for the smashing fun.  

All of my kids love to read, and on their birthday every year they get to pick a book.  My husband and I then write a little note to the kiddo in their "birthday book."  Yesterday, we headed to the bookstore for my baby to pick out here birthday book, and my 3 and 4 year old ended up picking out a book to give to their sister for her birthday.  I love that they wanted to give her a book instead of toys.  I love my little book loving kids.

With all my kids love for reading they absolute love when I make a treat and connect it to a book.  These Gruffalo Cookies made from a Cake Mix were a definitely winner for everyone.  First, they are delicious. Second, you make them so so fast b/c you use a cake mix. Third, they connect to a picture book that my kiddos love to read.  Winner!  

As I was telling my 3 year old son that I made him Guffalo Cookies he first said yuck (b/c of the different "foods" mentioned in the story by Julia Donaldson), and then said yummy!  

However, he did inform me that the Gruffalo has purple spots all over his back, and my purple frosting was in the middle of the cookie sandwich.  Nothing like a 3 year old saying my book reference isn't accurate to boost your librarian self-esteem. ;)

Even though the purple isn't on the Gruffalo's back these book inspired sandwhich cookies are still fun and delicious to eat no matter your age.

Gruffalo Cookies from a Cake Mix
Recipe: Alohamora
Active Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 1 1/2 dozen medium cookies

Ingredients:
1 Devil's Food cake mix
2 eggs
1/3 c. oil
1 c. chocolate chips
candy eyes
purple frosting (or any color/flavor frosting you desire)

Directions: 

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or a baking mat. 
  2. In a stand mixer or medium bowl combine the first 4 ingredients until mixed well. 
  3. Using a medium cookie scoop place cookie dough balls on the prepared pans. 
  4. Place candy eyes in every other cookie, and then bake the cookies at 350 degrees for 7-9 minutes or until the cookies are done aka no longer shiny.
  5. When cookies have cooled completely you can add a layer a frosting between two cookies (one with eyes and one without). 
  6. Enjoy! 
  7. Store leftover cookies in a sealed air tight container.  

Happy Gruffalo aka Monster Cookie eating!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment