Friday, August 28, 2015

Tales From the Back Row gets 4.5 Stars

Tales From the Back Row: An Outsider's View From Inside the Fashion Industry by Amy Odell earns 4.5 out of 5 stars in my book review.  Funny , informative, valuable, and incrediibly relatable even for a non fashion individual like me.  Odell is a great author who is witty and entertaining.  Alohamora Open a Book  http://www.alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/ adult non-fiction, essays, memoir, help, fashion, nyc, funny, humorous

Tales From the Back Row: An Outsider's View From Inside the Fashion Industry by Amy Odell is a hilarious, relatable, informative, and all around fun read for the fashion fan and even the lack of any fashion knowledge individual like myself.  

I'm not kidding when I say I have no fashion sense whatsoever.  I unfortunately have left my home (on accident but still) wearing socks and Birks, and I have never ever worn jeans with heals which is supposedly a thing stylish cool people do.  My favorite brand is Athleta, and I had no idea who Alexander Wang was before I read this book.  I am not a fashionable person, but I still thoroughly enjoyed this book and you will too.  

When Simon & Schuster contacted me asking if I'd be interested in getting my hands on and reading Amy Odell's humorous memoir like book I jumped at the opportunity.  I had heard only awesome things about it, and to be honest, it was better than I thought it was going to be..  

Tales From the Back Row gets 4.5 out of 5 Stars in my book review.  It's a fast enjoyable read for a wide audience.  This book is not just for the fashion minded, but it's for everyone that wants to succeed in life.  

I loved the witty and humorous writing and the stories from the crazy fashion world.  I learned more about the Victoria Secret Fashion Show and Fashion Week than I ever knew there was to know.  I learned that we all struggle and fail; we fail job interviews and regret things we say.  However, those failures don't mean you are done; it just means you have to keep going b/c you can still succeed.

Amy Odell is a super young cat fan with quite a Twitter and Instagram following, but she is also editor of Cosmopolitan.com now.  Forbes named her in the prestigious 30 Under 30 list aka list of people that are young and super amazing/successful.  

In her book, which writing was one of her life goals (I love when people have life goals and do them), she gives us her strategy to success.  She worked hard, very hard, and she even admits that she also got lucky.  Though, I remember many soccer coaches (hence why Athleta is my favorite clothing) telling me luck comes to those that work for it.

In her book, Odell mentions that we all do things differently.  However, whether you are looking for a wedding dress or trying to succeed in your career it's most important to stay true to yourself.  It's the only way you'll be happy, and the only way you can truly succeed     Some people are excellent self-promoters, and others are more shy and keep working and plugging along.  Don't try to be something you're not.  

This theme was helpful and a needed boost for me.  I am not your typical blogger.  I don't want to do Giveaways just to get "Followers" or "Likes."  I want people to find my blog helpful and informative.  I want them to be inspired to read a book, or get books for their kids.  I want teachers and librarians to find book lists and lessons (ideas or plans) that they can us.  I want people to have delicious, and often healthy recipes to make and enjoy.  I want people to come to my blog b/c they want to and not b/c they want to win something.  So this book just reminded me that it's okay to be me; I don't have to be and do the typical blogger thing.      

Overall, Tales From the Back Row is a great read.  I think a Millennial woman would love this book.  They'll especially relate to this book and enjoy every chapter.  The last two chapters are my favorite, including the "10 Absolutely Vital Tips for Everyone Who Wants to Work in Fashion."  However, those last 10 tips are valuable tips for anyone and everyone

Tales From the Back Row has a little language, in context, but it really isn't too bad.  It's funny, with humorous stories from Odell's life and adventures.  It's just fun. 

The only reason this book lost half a star in my book review is b/c sometimes Odell was a tad wordy.  I found myself wanting to skim some of the side stories to keep reading the main funny story.  

Amazon had the following book description

"Funny and fearless, Tales from the Back Row is a keenly observed collection of personal essays about what it’s really like to be a young woman working in the fashion industry.

In Tales from the Back Row, Cosmopolitan.com editor Amy Odell takes readers behind the stage of New York’s hottest fashion shows to meet the world’s most influential models, designers, celebrities, editors, and photographers.

But first, she has to push her way through the crowds outside, where we see the lengths people go to be noticed by the lurking paparazzi, and weave her way through the packed venue, from the very back row to the front. And as Amy climbs the ladder (with tips about how you can, too), she introduces an industry powered by larger-than-life characters: she meets the intimidating Anna Wintour and the surprisingly gracious Rachel Zoe, not to mention the hilarious Chelsea Handler, and more.

As she describes the allure of Alexander Wang’s ripped tights and Marchesa’s Oscar-worthy dresses, Amy artfully layers in something else: ultimately this book is about how the fashion industry is an exaggerated mirror of human fallibility—reflecting our desperate desire to belong, to make a mark, to be included. For Amy is the first to admit that as much as she is embarrassed by the thrill she gets when she receives an invitation to an exclusive after-party, she can’t help but RSVP “yes.”

Tales From the Back Row comes out next Tuesday, September 1st.  Go get it!

Happy Hilarious and Applicable Reading with a little, or a lot, fashion thrown in there! 


No comments:

Post a Comment