I know everyone is all about posting pumpkin recipes lately, but I just had to share this Colorado Caviar with you. I mean I like pumpkin goodies, but real dinner or dip is just as important.
My friend, Amanda (who also sent me the delicious White Chili recipe), recently sent me this recipe, and I am so glad she did. It is yummy!
Colorado Caviar (sometimes known as Cowboy Caviar if I recall correctly) is delicious, sweet, protein packed, and perfect to eat with a spoon, dip it with chips, or top your salads with it.
You may not think it is bean salad season, but I am personally of the opinion that it is always a good time for a healthy, hearty, easy and fast to make dip or bean salad.
Colorado Caviar is perfect for a football game or an easy weeknight side dish.
Colorado Caviar: Easy Bean Salad and Dip
Recipe: Alohamora slightly adapted from Amanda G.
Active Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Time: 2 1/2 hours
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. white vinegar
3/4 c. vegetable oil
1 can (15oz) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15oz) corn, drained
1/2 c. sweet onion, diced (you can use yellow, white, or red onion but it does change the flavor)
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 tsp cilantro, dried (add more if you love cilantro- fresh diced cilantro works too)
1 can (7oz) diced green chilies
- In a small pot/pan stir to combine the sugar, vinegar, and oil.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, and boil for 1 minute.
- Remove pot from the stove and allow it to cool while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a medium bowl combine the beans, corn, onion, peppers, cilantro, and green chilies.
- Add your cooled pot mixture to the medium bowl bean mixture and stir to combine everything.
- Cover your bean salad/dip and place it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. The flavors will get better and better the longer you let the salad marinate.
- Drain the liquid before serving.
- Enjoy with chips, a spoon, and/or over a salad.
- Store leftovers covered in the fridge.