My kids love asparagus, and my husband and I love it as well. However, there is the whole "asparagus pee" thing. You know, where you eat asparagus and then your pee has a distinctly different and strong smell b/c you ate asparagus. I don't love that smell. I don't love changing a diaper full of that smell.
However, I really love asparagus, and it is oh so healthy so I make the sacrifice with the diaper thing.
We usually roast the asparagus in the oven, and that is delicious. However, lately I've been all about grilling it.
We either grill the asparagus on a grill pan which gives it more of a chard look and taste to it, or we cook it in aluminum foil. Both work great, it just depends on my laziness factor. Do I want to wash a pan or throw away aluminum foil? Tough decisions. :)
Grilled Asparagus is easy to make and quite flavorful. Using aluminum foil makes it even easier..
I cut/break the asparagus, season, and then toss it in aluminum foil wrapping it up using the steps shown below. The last step is to grill it for a few minutes. Easy peasy.
Grilled Asparagus makes a healthy and delicious vegetable side dish that takes only minutes to prepare.
Active Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Time: 5 minutes
Servings: 3-5 people
1 bunch of asparagus
1-2 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp seasoning salt
- Preheat your grill aka turn the gas on your grill so it is hot and ready to go.
- Wash your asparagus spears and then either cut off the woody ends or snap them at their breaking point.
- Toss the washed asparagus in a medium bowl and top it with the olive oil, garlic powder, and seasoning salt.
- Stir everything together so the asparagus is evenly coated.
- Tear off an 18 inch to 2 foot piece of aluminum foil, and place your asparagus in a thin group in the middle. Refer to step one in the picture above.
- Fold the top and bottom part of the aluminum foil over the asparagus top and bottom. Refer to step two in the picture above.
- Fold in the two sides of the aluminum foil until they meet in the middle. Then, fold the two sides of the aluminum foil together so they are combined on top of the asparagus making a pocket.
- Grill your asparagus packet on your grill for 3-5 minutes flipping it over carefully to evenly cook all sides.
- To roast your asparagus in the oven prepare it the same way, place the asparagus on a single layer on a pan, and roast them in the oven at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
Happy Grilled Asparagus eating! I believe it is always a good day to grill, especially when grilling vegetables.