Monday, April 21, 2014

Kitchen Time Saver with Onions


Kitchen Time Saver: Freeze your onions and then use them like they are fresh.  No more dicing onions every day for every meal.  Alohamora Open a Book http://www.alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

If your fridge is anything like mine today it is packed with leftovers from Easter dinner; I am not even thinking about making something for dinner.  Leftover ham sandwiches with roasted vegetables sound perfect.  

I also did a lot of baking this weekend for a charity bake sale and Easter, so baking is not happening either.  

I thought today I would share with you my first ever, and hopefully not last, Kitchen Time Saver the Onion Edition.  This little kitchen tip is meant to save you time and make your life a little better.

I've been a big fan of this "tip" ever since my Mother In-Law passed it on to me.  This tip has saved me time as well as tears.  

Now, the tears are only from the onions, and that is b/c I am not cool enough to own Onion Goggles, however I hear they are awesome. 

Because of this tip I only have to cut onions once a week or so.  It's absolutely awesome.  I save so much time on those busy weeknight dinners, and it all comes down to this little tip.

Kitchen Time Saver Tip: When cutting or dicing onions dice the entire onion or onions and freeze in glass jars anything you don't need right away.     

Basically cut your onions, put the extras in glass jars, freeze the extras, and then pull them out when you need them. 

You do need to use glass jars.  If you use plastic, those plastic containers will forever smell of onions.  Just trust me, glass jars is the way to go.  Plus, I have found using more smaller glass jars is a lot more convenient than larger pint or quart jars.   

You do not need to do anything special to your onions when you pull them out of the freezer to use.  Dump them into your casserole or in a pan on the stove frozen and cook them up normal.  

I know this tip seems kind of ridiculous, but I am not kidding when I say this is most definitely a Kitchen Time Saver.

I absolutely love being able to pull out a jar, use the onions I need, and then put the jar back into the freezer for next time.  

To be honest, I am kind of bummed when I am all out of my "freezer onion" and I have to cut more.  I know, it's ridiculous.  However, I guarantee that once you start using this little trick you won't go back to the dark ages of cutting onions constantly.  


You know, if you are super amazing you could cut several onions at once and be stocked for a good little while.  

Save yourself some tears and time: Freeze your Onions and use them like they are Fresh!     


Happy cooking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment