My husband hated tomato soup until this Parmesan Basil Tomato Soup. This soup has the flavor and consistency of a creamy soup, but it has the health benefit of a vegetable soup.
Serve this soup with quesadillas or grilled cheese and you have the most delicious meal for those cold wintry days that can so often come in March.
Here in Arizona this past weekend we finally had some rain (it had been over 2 months w/o a drop) and cold weather. It was awesome!
I know some of my friends in North Carolina were claiming there was a Winter Weather Advisory yesterday.
From my many years of living in Colorado I know March is usually the snowiest month (I personally loved snowboarding in March).
We may be close to Spring Break and technically the start of Spring, but we all are still getting plenty of cold weather. This Parmesan Basil Tomato Soup is absolutely delicious, easy to make in the slow cooker/crock pot, and one of my all time favorites. You really should enjoy some of it's deliciousness!
Slow Cooker Parmesan Basil Tomato Soup
Recipe: Alohamora slightly adapted from 365 Days of Slow Cooker
Active Time: 25 minutes
Inactive Time: 5-6 hours
Servings: 8-10 servings
2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
2 c. carrots, diced (half of a baby carrot bag)
1 c. onion, diced
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 c. fresh basil or 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
4 c. chicken broth
1/2 bay leaf
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. flour
1 c. Parmesan cheese, grated (fresh or Kraft type cheese works equally well)
2 c. skim milk (or whatever you have) .
- In a slow cooker/crock pot add tomatoes, carrots, onion, oregano, basil, and chicken broth. Stir to just combine. I've used fresh basil from my garden and felt like a super legit chef, but I've also used dried basil b/c I killed my basil plant and it still tastes great. Honestly, I couldn't tell a difference so use whatever you have on hand.
- Add 1/2 a bay leaf to the top of the soup. Cover the crock pot/slow cooker and cook on low for 5 hours.
- Using an immersion blender, or put the soup in a blender (leave the top open but cover with a paper towel to prevent a mess) blend the soup until it reaches your desired consistency. I personally like it more creamy than chunky. Return the soup back to the slow cooker/crock pot.
- At least 30 minutes before serving the soup prepare the roux. The 30 minutes will allow the roux to work and thicken the soup a bit.
- In a small pot/pan melt the butter over low to medium heat. Add the flour to the melted butter and stir until smooth. Pour the roux into your crock pot/slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Next, add the cheese to the soup and stir to combine.
- Finally, add the milk and stir to combine.
- Allow soup to cook on low for at least 30 minutes before serving. I usually prepare the grilled cheese, salad, or quesadillas at this time. It works out perfectly.
- Finally, enjoy your way better than a can and not too much more effort tomato soup. It's amazing!