Friday, May 4, 2012

Entwined

I'm glad I have readers that recommend books; I love getting book recommendations.  Keep them coming.    I just finished reading Entwined by Heather Dixon; I read this b/c I had a fabulous reader that suggested this book, and I'm glad I was able to get it from the library.

If you are a girl and you like books such as Ella Enchanted, The Two Princesses of Bamarre, and other books that deal with royalty, action, and romance then you will enjoy Entwined.  This book is perfect for middle school and early high school girls; though if you have a mature 5th or 6th grader you could easily let them read it.  Entwined is a clean book, and I appreciated that a lot.  As a parent there would be absolutely nothing you would have to be worried about; there was no language or sex in the book.  Though, there was a little fighting, but not really anything I'd be overly concerned with b/c it is not in a lot of detail and it is necessary for the story.

All in all, I enjoyed Entwined; I would give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.  I enjoyed reading the book, the characters, setting, and basic storyline, but my biggest qualms with the book was that it felt a bit predictable and wordy.  However, I think the story would've been more powerful had it been a bit more unique and less predictable in some of the character's actions and in the development of the story.  I also think the story would've flowed better and been a more enticing/page turner of a book had it been about 100 pages shorter.  There were many parts of the story that seem to drag a bit and just include an excess of detail.  If I had been the editor those were the changes I would've wanted to make, but I still enjoyed the story for the most part.

Amazon had the following book description:  "Azalea is trapped. Just when she should feel that everything is before her . . . beautiful gowns, dashing suitors, balls filled with dancing . . . it's taken away. All of it.

The Keeper understands. He's trapped, too, held for centuries within the walls of the palace. And so he extends an invitation.

Every night, Azalea and her eleven sisters may step through the enchanted passage in their room to dance in his silver forest.

But there is a cost.

The Keeper likes to keep things.

Azalea may not realize how tangled she is in his web until it is too late."

I think Entwined was a fun story and take on the fairytale of the 12 dancing princesses.  I say if you are looking for a fun book this summer you should give it a shot. 
 As always, let me know your thoughts about the book.  

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment