Thursday, August 4, 2011

Just Listen

I enjoy Sarah Dessen books.  She has this great way of writing; she allows you to feel the book is fun and light, but yet it has a depth to it.  The books usually have a deeper issue to them that is good to read and find out how the character deals with those relatable issues.  Plus, Sarah Dessen lives in Chapel Hill, NC and went to UNC-Chapel Hill.  As a fellow graduate of UNC- Chapel Hill, I am obviously a fan of a fellow Tarheel.

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen is another one of her books that was an excellent read.  It is a realistic fiction book, and therefore many readers will be able to relate to it.  Annabelle experiences many things in high school that your average reader experience.  She deals with friendships, boys, and family issues.  You come to really know and want the best for Annabelle.

At the beginning of the book you find out that Annabelle is no longer friends with a former best friend.  You aren't sure why she isn't friends with Sophie, the other girl, but you discover the problem out as you read.  You are given little bits here and there to discover what happened to Annabelle and therefore her friendship with Sophie.  It is near the end of the book when you find out the details with the issue/event; it breaks your heart  that Annabelle had to go through such an event.  I hope that when high schoolers read about it they learn that it is better to share with friends and family so that they can help you recover.  Annabelle learns that it is best not to keep it all in; it is impossible to keep it all in forever.  The way Annabelle behaved, to a point, as well as the way you discover the issue reminded me of the book Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson.

All in all, Sarah Dessen did a fabulous job with this book.  I am a fan of her writing b/c it is as lovable as Meg Cabot's writing, but it has the depth you need to deal with issues that are YA's experience.  I would like to read Dessen's new book What Happened to Goodbye; I'm just waiting until I can get it from the library.  I'll let you know when I do.  Let me know if you have read any of Dessen's books and what you thought of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment