Thursday, December 30, 2010

Little Red Riding Hood with a Twist


I love the Holiday break because I have so much time to read. I picked up several books at the library, and I felt lucky that this one was still there. I've had my eye on this book for awhile. First off, I think the cover was well designed. I love the two sisters depicted with the wolf below. It actually took me awhile to see the wolf at the bottom. It kind of snuck up on me... just like the real wolves/werewolves do.

I didn't know too much about the book when I picked it up except that it was a modern version of the little red riding hood fairy tale with a twist. I love creative stories, and this seemed to be one I might enjoy. Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce is fabulous YA book! I wholeheartedly enjoyed this book and would/will suggest this book to all (mostly girls though). It is a clean book with a great story, which I love! At times Pearce's writing reminded me of Shannon Hale's style. Just like Hale's books, I found myself wanting the story to end a certain way, but truly unsure how it was going to work out that way. I would find myself stressing over how the story is going to resolve (I realize I get a bit sucked into a good book). The story throughout has enough detail and keeps a good pace to keep you turning those pages.

Sisters Red is about two sisters, Scarlett and Rosie, who have no one else since their grandmother was killed by a wolf/werewolf/Fenris. The Fenris appear as attractive and sophisticated men that try to lure women away so they can eat them. Since their grandmother's death, Scarlett and Rosie now hunt Fenris' to protect other women and girls. Silas, a young woodsmen, helps them in their mission. The story is set in modern Georgia.

I don't want to give too much of the story away. Just know, the book is one of those books you will enjoy throughout. You will find yourself completely satisfied after you finish reading the book. This book is fiction with action, a little romance, and plenty of drama.

Enjoy! Let me know what you think and if you come across any other novels with a fairy tale twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment