Monday, October 28, 2019

Spooky Munchies for Spooky Reads {book list}

Great Halloween books to read and the snacks to eat along with them.  Book list. picture books, scary reads. Middle grade fiction. Chapter books, etc. Yummy snacks. Alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com alohamora open a book

I'm a reading snacker; I admit it.  Admitting it is the first step I hear.  While my brain is reading I love to be doing something with my mouth.  Are you a reading snacker?  

I love drinking water while reading non-fiction.  I love salty snacks when things are intense.  I love sweets when the story is sweet 💖.  Depending how the story is going will depend on what snack I want to eat.  Unfortunately, I haven't quite figured out what kind of books causes me to munch on veggies and dip.  Hmmmmm

During the holidays reading snacks must be festive. It's pretty much a holiday reading rule.  ;)  With it so close to Halloween, obviously the snacks are holiday appropriate. 

I figured I might as well attempt to explain my reading snack madness to convert more of you over to the side of snacking by type of book/read. 

Spooky Munchies for Spooky Reads


Something Sweet
For me this means chocolate candy, though for those odd people (like a certain Mr. of mine) I know sweet sugary candy is preferred. 
I think any Halloween picture book fits in this category.
My favorite Halloween picture books this year are the following: 


Something Sour
When I say sour I mean sour candy.  Just sour doesn't do anything for me, but Sour Patch Kids every now and again, that is yum.  
Sour Candy books are a little weird but cool at the same time.  
Coraline is definitely a sour candy book. 


   Something Salty
Salty snacks have to have a crunch for me.  Potato chips are my go to salty reading snack.  
Salty books are intense books that keep me coming back for more intensity... just like salty chips.  
Cirque du Freak  is an intense, every chapter is a cliff hanger, salty chip book.  
Such a fun series, and a great classroom or family read aloud for 5th-8th grade kids. 



Something with Everything
Snacks that are sweet, salty, and crunchy are perfect for the spooky reads with intensity, action, humor, and a little quirkiness.  
Books that have it all deserve a snack that has it all.  
I used to make a candy corn and peanuts snack mix, but then I came across this recipe from Oh Sweet Basil.  It has since won my heart. #yummy
The Last Kids on Earth is a book with thrill and laughs.
Bonus, it is now on Netflix


Something Pumpkin
Seasonal reads always entice some seasonally flavored snacks, and ice cream is always a great reading snack.  
The season of pumpkins deserves a book that sweet and seasonal as well as a delicious treat like Pumpkin Ice Cream
Pumpkinheads is such a fun and sweet and seasonally festive graphic novel.  It's a book you could read in the time a big bowl of ice cream took you to eat.  



Thank you Penguin Kids for the fun book and an excuse to share some of my favorite Halloween books with the snacks I eat with them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment