Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Alex Rider Secret Weapon gets 4 Stars {ya lit, action/adventure}


I know books, but I am not a music expert.  However, with the spy and adventure theme of this book I couldn't get the theme music for James Bond and Mission Impossible movies out of my head. If I had to create a Playlist of sorts for this book, it'd definitely include those songs. 

It's not all action and adventure. There is some humor. ;) "Of course it'll work!  I mean, I hope it'll work. But it is a prototype, you know..."

"You should be careful whom you choose to trust." 

Alex Rider, aka the teenage James Bond.  He's a teenage spy for MI6.  Therefore, he gets really cool gadgets, he's super smart, a linguist, martial arts master, and he just seems like a good 14 year old.  This book has seven short stories, which make for a super fast read that'll have you keep turning the pages. You'll finish before you know it, and if you are anything like me you'll love that reality is briefly suspended and that things work out for Alex.  I'm such a sucker for the happy ending.  To be honest, I didn't know the Alex Rider books were for more than just middle and high school boys.  I'm actually a big fan of Alex Rider now, and don't worry, you don't have to have been an AR fan and have read the other books to enjoy this one.  Horowitz does a great job including any necessary background information.  

Basically, this Alex Rider book is fantastic.  At times there are a few gaps in the action, but otherwise I felt the writing was great.  The story moves quickly and there is enough development, but this is definitely a plot driven story.  Definitely a great book to hand to a kid in 5th grade and up; middle school libraries should most definitely have this book on the shelf. 

Alex Rider Secret Weapon by Anthony Horowitz
Rating: 4/5 stars
Best For: 12 and up, action/adventure fans will love this fast read. 
# of Pages:  336
Clean Read: Yes. There is action and violence, but it isn't gruesome. I think an 11 year old could enjoy this.   
Worth a Check Out: Yes. It is such a fun quick read. It's worth a read when you are looking for a page turner that will help you escape reality. 
Buy It or Not: Maybe.  If you are an Alex Rider fan then you definitely should. 
Read Aloud:  Actually, it could be a fun read for 6th-8th grade classroom. 



I received a copy of this book from Penguin Random House, but all thoughts and opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment