Monday, October 22, 2018

Dragonwatch 2: Wrath of the Dragon King gets 4 Stars {fantasy, middle grade fiction, series}

Dragonwatch 2: Wrath of the Dragon King by Brandon Mull. This juvenile aka middle grade fiction high fantasy is a fun action packed series for Fablehaven or Fantasy genre fans. 4 out of 5 stars in my book review. Details on the blog including who the book is perfect for. Alohamora: Open a Book Alohamoraopenabook http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

I have a few main goals on my blog.  First, I aim to be honest.  Second, I aim for quality. Third, I aim to have fun and try and make it fun and doable whether it's baking or reading.  

Today, I am being completely honest with you.  I've never wrote this on the blog, but a handful of friends who know me know, that I wasn't the biggest fan of Fablehaven.   Maybe you're shocked.  Maybe your disappointed.  Maybe you never thought about it.  However, if you check the reviews on Amazon or Goodreads you will see I am in the minority.  Either way, if you look at the top of this book, Dragonwatch 2: Wrath of the Dragon King, you will see it is a Fablehaven Adventure book, and many of the characters in Fablehaven make an appearance. 

I've read both Dragonwatch books, and I will say I enjoyed them. {Gasps from the crowd.} Hence, the reason for the review today.  I have enjoyed Dragonwatch more than Fablehaven. 😮    

I, honestly, enjoyed Dragonwatch 2: Wrath of the Dragon King by Brandon Mull.  This book honestly earned 4 out of 5 stars. I enjoyed it. I really did.  I thought the storyline was unexpected.  I thought Kendra and Seth's character development was good.  I enjoyed aspects like the Barrel that transports you to the other location/barrel b/c it reminded me of the Vanishing Cabinet in Harry Potter.  

The pace of the story is a little slow in the beginning.  It takes awhile to get moving; however, once you hit Stormguard Castle the pace definitely quickens.  I also felt the secondary characters were not developed fully even though they were introduced.  Sure, we may get more development of their cousins, Knox and Tess, as the series progresses (b/c this series is definitely set up to continue), but I felt their development was more than lacking.  In my opinion if you are going to introduce them and have them involved enough to have their own chapter(s) you need to develop them a bit more.  

Basically, Wrath of the Dragon King is a great book, but it is necessary to read the first Dragonwatch book.  Boys, and girls that enjoy fantasy, in 5th grade or up will enjoy this series. 

Happy Fablehaven Juvenile/Middle Grade Fiction Fantasy Reading! Feel free to email me or DM me on Instagram/Facebook if you have any other questions. 


Dragonwatch 2: Wrath of the Dragon King by Brandon Mull. This juvenile aka middle grade fiction high fantasy is a fun action packed series for Fablehaven or Fantasy genre fans. 4 out of 5 stars in my book review. Details on the blog including who the book is perfect for. Alohamora: Open a Book Alohamoraopenabook http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/


Dragonwatch 2: Wrath of the Dragon King by Brandon Mull
Rating: 4/5 stars
Best For: 11+, 5th grade and up
# of Pages:  406
Clean Read: Yes.
Worth a Check Out: Yes.  If you love fantasy books, Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings, or Fablehaven, and you have read the first Dragonwatch.
Buy It or Not: Yes.  Especially, if you bought the Fablehaven books. 
Read Aloud: Yes, this could be a read aloud with a parent, but  it's rare for a teacher to read aloud a series.  
 
Lesson Ideas: Courage. Siblings. Dragons. Fantasy. Fablehaven. Cousins. Discover or Be Told. Good vs. Bad.  




Are you a Fablehaven or Dragonwatch fan?  I'd love to know what you think of the series. 


A few quotes from Dragonwatch: Wrath of the Dragon King that I had to share with you: 


"I'd rather not hold hands the whole night," Seth said. (pg 31)

"You don't become a champion by relaxing." (pg 139)

"Tough week," Seth said. "Lots of running for my life." (pg 229)


Thank you for Smith Publicity for the book to review.  All thoughts and comments are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment