Tuesday, August 21, 2018

My Dear Hamilton gets 4.5 Stars {historical fiction, adult}

My Dear Hamilton: A Novel of Eliza Schuyler Hamilton by Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie book review.  This us historical fiction adult lit book earned 4.5 out of 5 stars in my review.  It's a LONG (700 pages) book with a ton of factual information, but fascinating.  It'd make a great book club book.  I'm amazed with Eliza, and not only all she did and survived but how she forgave and grew.  Great character development.  Alohamoraopenabook Alohamora Open a Book for full review.

20 minutes.  That's how long I sat telling my husband about My Dear Hamilton.  It was one of those books I wanted to talk with someone about, but I didn't know anyone else that had read it.  Therefore, my poor husband becomes my sounding board.  

I shared with him the things that shocked me such as Alexander's well known scandal as well as the things Eliza found out after his death.  I was baffled that Gentlemen Duels lasted as long as they did.  I was surprised how Lafayette explained why an affair doesn't mean the husband doesn't love his wife.  I'm inspired with Eliza's dedication to serving and helping others.  I shared with him how wise her father, Philip Schulyer, was about what he chose to do with his wife's questionable actions.  I am amazed that Eliza was able to forgive and love through all that she suffered.   

Now, it took me far longer than 20 minutes to read this almost 700 page book. At times I felt like I was reading an incredibly well written US History book b/c the amount of factual history found inside these pages was impressive.  However, I do think the 637 pages was a bit excessive, and though I was anxious to turn the pages to find out what happened there were some moments that lulled and moved slower than I would've liked.  To be honest, I think that was my only qualm with the book.  

Hence the reason why My Dear Hamilton: A Novel of Eliza Schuyler Hamilton by Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie earned 4.5 out of 5 stars in my review.  

This book is fantastic.  It's a well written historical fiction novel with a story line that shocks (and per the author note at the end, all of the shocking things are factual), inspires, and educates you all at the same time.  I felt Eliza really grew and developed as a character, and the emotions you felt for her were captivating.


My Dear Hamilton, though long, is a great novel that is definitely worth a check-out.  Though, be warned that this new release novel will usually give you a limited check-out window from the library, so you'll have to read fast.      

My Dear Hamilton: A Novel of Eliza Schuyler Hamilton by Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie
Rating: 4.5/5 stars
Best For: Adults
Clean Read: Yes.  Though, there is talk of affairs, drinking,  homosexuality, and violence. 
Worth a Check Out: Yes.
Buy It or Not: If you love Historical Fictions and US History then buy it.
Read Aloud: No.
Book Club Discussion Ideas: There is an entire section in the back for book club questions; a few of my questions are: The Schuyler family's motto was Semper Fidelis- Always Faithful, Always Loyal. How does this play out in Eliza's life? Why was it important for Betsy to start going by the name Eliza? What did you think of the relationship among Eliza, Angelica, and Alexander?  How did Eliza's opinion of slavery evolve as she matured and aged? What did Eliza and her family sacrifice for the sake of the nation? What were Eliza's most important choices she made in her life?

This is an excellent, though long, historical fiction.

Just a few quotes I loved from My Dear Hamilton 

"God put us here to make a better world." Eliza's mission her entire life. 


"The people we love are not exactly knowable. Even to themselves. But we love them anyway."

"Life, like backgammon, is a game of perseverance in which you're forced to choose the best move, even if it is only a choice between evils." 

"The only just way to judge a person is by the sum of their deeds, good and bad.  And in the balance, your father did far more good than harm.  That's all any of us can aim to do with our lives." 


Happy Interesting US History reading!  As always, I love to hear your thoughts on the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment