I've always thought vanilla ice cream to be boring. I always wanted a chocolate based ice cream, or mix-ins at the least. I never thought plain vanilla ice cream was worth the calories. I used to think that... until my husband created the absolute best and perfect homemade vanilla ice cream recipe.
This ice cream is not only absolutely amazing, but it is lower in fat than other ice creams. Bonus!
Plus, if you follow my easy peasy Diet Tip you'll get to have a treat, but you won't over indulge.
The Diet Tip for today is, use ice cream cones rather than bowls. Each night you want a treat, place 1 scoop into a cone. The cone is more fun to eat, and you will only treat yourself to a little treat rather than an entire bowl of ice cream that most of us fill up way too much.
The other benefit with a delicious Vanilla Ice Cream recipe is you can add fresh fruit (or other not so diet friendly mix-ins) for a simple yet very summer like dish. We went to a farm nearby and picked peaches as a family. The kids had a blast, and the fresh peaches to gobble up makes everyone happy.
You definitely need this recipe, just like you definitely need an ice cream maker. We love this Cuisinart one.
Vanilla Ice Cream
Active Time: 5-10 minutes
Inactive Time: 2 1/2 hours + 8 hrs for firmness
Servings: About 5 cups
1 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 c. milk (we use skim, but whatever you want)
3/4 c. white sugar
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
- In a small bowl mix all of the ingredients together.
- Cover and place it in the fridge for at least 2 hours; the longer you place the mixture in the refrigerator the creamier the ice cream will be.
- Turn the ice cream maker on, and pour the cream mixture into the ice cream maker bowl. The bowl we use is kept in the freezer so it is good and frozen when we need it. We have noticed our Cuisinart bowl needs to be in the freezer for longer than 10 hours. Let the ice cream maker do all of the work for 20-30 minutes.
- Your ice cream will be soft serve at this point. We always enjoy a scoop now, and then place the rest in an airtight container in the freezer. The hard ice cream will set in about 8 hours.
- Store leftovers in the freezer in that airtight container.
Happy Delicious Hard Not to Love Vanilla Ice Cream eating!