Monday, January 30, 2017

Sam and the Construction Site gets 2.5 Stars {picture book}

Sam and the Construction Site by Tjibbe Veldkamp gets 2.5/5 stars in my picture book review.  Cute pictures, but this book lacked editing.  Choppy text and an inappropriate picture for the young toddlers through Kindergarteners this book is geared to. Alohamora Open a Book http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/ sponsored

I feel a little like this book right now; a lot going on but hopefully a happy ending in sight.  I apologize for being a little MIA.  I had a last minute trip to visit a 96 year old Grandpa, and then last week I had knee surgery on my meniscus.  It's been busy, and I'm hoping that I can get everything done.  On my list of things to get done is book reviews.  

Sam and the Construction Site by Tjibbe Veldkamp at first glance seemed like such a fun read.  I was excited to review it, and my son was loving looking through the pages.  However, on closer inspection I was disappointed; I think the editors could've done a far better job putting together a great story and book.  


Sam and the Construction Site by Tjibbe Veldkamp gets 2.5/5 stars in my picture book review.  Cute pictures, but this book lacked editing.  Choppy text and an inappropriate picture for the young toddlers through Kindergarteners this book is geared to. Alohamora Open a Book http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/ sponsored

I love the details and the illustrations are definitely cute.  The illustrations are busy, but that is kind of fun for the young reader and the boy who loves seeing activity and construction trucks.  I love the endpaper shown above; I really do love endpapers that enhance the book rather than using just a plan colored page.  

There were things, like the watercolor illustrations, I enjoyed about Sam and the Construction Site, but there were some major oops that I think a better editing job could've solved.  The major oops is the main reason this books only scored 2.5 out of 5 stars even though it had potential for more.  

Basically, I liked the illustrations and I thought the story idea was cute.  It's fun to think that Sam is creating chaos when in reality he was protecting the construction site just like he said he would.  

On the flip side, I felt the writing was incredibly choppy; there was a lot of "Sam said" "Boss said" rather than polishing the writing to make it flow better.  I also felt the ending was a bit abrupt.  I felt a major oops was the inappropriate picture on page 3 of a pin-up girl on the construction worker's door.  This book, full of construction vehicles, is clearly geared towards boys from preschool to first grade.  No boys, but especially boys that young, do not need to see a pin-up, even an illustrated pin-up girl.  It's just inappropriate, and the editors/publishers should've seen that and corrected it.  I personally, think this book is cute in many ways, and that is probably why I am more frustrated the editors and publishers let that slide.   
    
Sam and the Construction Site by Tjibbe Veldkamp gets 2.5/5 stars in my picture book review.  Cute pictures, but this book lacked editing.  Choppy text and an inappropriate picture for the young toddlers through Kindergarteners this book is geared to. Alohamora Open a Book http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/ sponsored

To be honest, Sam and the Construction Site had potential, I just think it missed it's mark.  

Amazon has the following book description just so you can get a better idea of the story line. 

"Sam loves to watch construction work. Every day, he stands behind the fence and watches the big machines--the steamroller, the cement truck, and the tall crane--in action. When Sam enters the construction site on a dare, he discovers he can operate the big machinery! With a surprise ending, Sam saves the day with his construction site know-how. Hidden clues and delicious details make Alice Hoogstad's construction site a feast for the eye."

Happy Beautiful Watercolor Illustrations Construction Vehicles reading


I received this book from Myrick Marketing in exchange for my review and honest opinion.  All of my thoughts, opinions, and words are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment