Among pumpkin fans I am not sure there is a single person that doesn't love a Pumpkin Roll. Cream cheese between pumpkin cake goodness is bound to be delicious.
However, if you have ever made a Roll dessert, than you know that it isn't the easiest thing to make. Your roll can crack and split on you, and then you end up with a mess of sorts.
This Pumpkin Anti-Roll is for all those that don't like rolling desserts, are tired of their rolls cracking or looking like a hot mess, or just want a different looking but still delicious Pumpkin Roll.
This recipe goes back 12 years when I was a 5th grade teacher in North Carolina. A friend from church, who was almost like another grandma, gave me this Pumpkin Roll recipe, and it is honestly the best Pumpkin Roll I've ever had. So amazing!
Recipe: Alohamora slightly adapted from Sister Hansen
Active Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 10-15 minutes + cooling time
For the Roll
3 eggs, large
1 c. sugar
2/3 c. pumpkin puree
1 Tbsp lemon juice
3/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 c. walnuts, chopped (optional)
For the Filling:
1 c. powdered sugar
1 (8oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
4 Tbsp butter, softened
3/4 tsp vanilla
vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray 3 of the layered pans (10x4x.75) with a baking spray or grease and flour them.
- In a large bowl, or stand mixer, beat the eggs on high for a minute.
- Gradually add the sugar.
- Add the pumpkin and lemon juice and stir until just combined.
- Add the dry ingredients, in the order listed, on top of the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour and evenly distribute the batter into the 3 prepared pans. Top the pans with the walnuts if you so desire.
- Bake the anti-roll cakes at 325 for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes on a rack for 10 minutes and then flip the pans over and remove the cake layers from the pans. Allow the cakes to cool completely before assembling the cake.
- Make the filling anytime you want, but wait to add the filling between the cake layers until the cakes are completely cool.
- To make the filling, mix on medium the four ingredients until smooth.
- Use a spatula to place the filling between the three cake layers. Top the pumpkin anti-roll with nuts and powdered sugar.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Chilled pumpkin roll is pretty amazing.
- If you would rather make a roll, rather than an anti-roll, line a cookie sheet or jelly/cake roll pan with aluminum foil and spray it with a baking spray or oil it.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, top with walnuts if you desire, and bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. You don't want to over bake it.
- Lay a kitchen towel on the counter and sprinkle it with powdered sugar.
- Turn the cake over onto the prepared towel. Pull off the aluminum foil and roll the cake in the towel beginning with the wide side.
- Cool the roll on the rack.
- Unroll the cake and fill it using a spatula, then roll it up again. Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar, cut, and serve.
- You can use ice cream for the pumpkin roll and freeze it. That's delicious as well.
Happy Absolutely Delicious Pumpkin Anti-Roll or Roll, if you are ambitious, eating!