Happy Friday, which means it is almost the weekend. Yay! The weekends, hopefully when you aren't running out to the soccer fields or baseball diamonds, are full of lazy mornings, waffles, pancakes, and basically more than just a protein shake or bowl of cereal.
I love the weekends, and I love waffles. It doesn't hurt that I have an awesome Texas shaped waffle iron. Who wouldn't want to cook waffles with this awesome iron?!
I love a good light and fluffy waffle, but I also love eating healthy. This Chocolate Protein Waffle is a great compromise. I can feel good about eating these healthier waffles packed with protein, and I can still enjoy a fun weekend breakfast.
It doesn't hurt that these waffles are quick and easy to make. It's all a win.
Chocolate Protein Waffles
Recipe: Alohamora adapted from Flavcity
Active Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Time: 20 minutes
1 c. flour
3 Tbsp cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1 c. chocolate protein shake
2 scoops chocolate protein shake powder and 10 oz milk/almond milk mixed together
- Begin heating up your waffle iron.
- In a medium bowl mix the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt together. Form a well in the middle.
- In a cup or small bowl mix the eggs and sugar together. Pour the egg mixture into the well.
- Add the butter and vanilla to the well.
- Add the protein shake. If you are using protein powder, mix the powder and milk/almond milk together before adding it to the well in the medium bowl.
- Mix everything together until mostly smooth. You may have a few clumps still.
- Spray the heated waffle iron with a cooking spray and pour about 1/4 cup, or more depending on your waffle iron size and cook until your desired level.
- Serve the waffles hot with butter, syrup, whipping cream, or whatever toppings you desire.
- Store waffles in the refrigerator in a Ziploc bag or airtight container. I also store the waffles in the freezer in a Ziploc bag and take 1 waffle out at a time and cook it in the toaster.
- Frozen protein waffles make the weekday mornings go a lot smoother.
Happy Chocolate Protein Waffle eating!