Ever since my second child my stomach has not been the same. I'm not saying it isn't as tight as once before, but my food sensitivities have increased. I am far more limited on what I can eat now. Recently, I can't seem to eat chicken, fish, turkey, or pork. It's sad to me b/c there are so many recipes with those ingredients that I just can't do anymore.
As a result of my food sensitivities we consume more than a few meatless meals each week. When I made these BBQ Cauliflower and Black Bean Tacos with a Creamy Lime Sauce for the first time, I got the response, "Wow! Dinner was really good tonight!" Which, coming from my meat loving husband is a huge compliment.
When we were newly married I made spaghetti squash with a vegetable marinara. I thought it was delicious, but my husband struggled b/c there was no meat in the meal. Ever since that day I usually had meat of some kind for dinner. However, as my food issues arose more and more meatless meals started occurring. My husband doesn't complain at all, and now I am happy to know that he enjoys vegetarian meals as well.
The flavors in these tacos are amazing and well balanced. The BBQ rub on the roasted vegetables are delicious, and the lime sauce is refreshing and tart. I like to use warmed corn tortillas, but any tortillas will work. I have also substituted the tortillas for lettuce and made this a salad; it was delicious as well. Really, there are many options for the healthy diet friendly vegetable loaded meal.
BBQ Cauliflower and Black Bean Tacos with Creamy Lime Sauce
Recipe: Alohamora adapted from SheLikesFood
Active Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 25 minutes
1 head cauliflower, chopped (about 5-6 cups)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp chili powder*
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/8 tsp black pepper
*Check spices for gluten free
1/2 c. plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
1 Tbsp lime juice
1/8 tsp cilantro, dried (more if you like cilantro)
salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a large cookie sheet/jelly roll pan with parchment paper, aluminum foil, or silicone baking mat.
- In a medium bowl mix the cauliflower, black beans, and olive oil together.
- In a small bowl add the remaining spices and mix together with a small spoon. Pour the spices over the cauliflower and black beans mixture. Stir to combine everything.
- Pour the black beans and cauliflower mixture onto the prepared pan and use a spoon to evenly distribute it. Bake the mixture at 375 for 25 minutes.
- While the mixture is in the oven prepare the lime sauce and cut your desired toppings
- To prepare the lime sauce add all of the ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine. I add very little salt, pepper, and cilantro. If you like cilantro feel free to add more.
- Assemble the tacos as desired. I use the cauliflower and black beans as the "meat" and load up on the toppings and lime sauce.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Happy Healthy Gluten Free Vegetarian Tacos and Lime Sauce Eating!