Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Nefertiti gets 3.5 Stars {Historical Fiction}

Nefertiti by Michelle Moran is an historical fiction based during 1300s BC in egypt obviously following the life of Nefertiti.  It is told from her sister's point of view so it is slightly similar to The Other Boleyn Girl.  Good audiobook.  Good historical fiction, but do know that fiction is definitely part of this book.  Egypt, adult lit, clean read, fun read, Alohamora Open a Book http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... I LOVE historical fictions.  I love learning new historical things (b/c history is definitely not a strong suit for me, and I don't gravitate towards Non-fiction) and I always love a good story.  There are a million World War II historical fictions out there, and I've read almost all of them. ;)  Okay, that may be a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but maybe I'm just following Moran's writing after finishing Nefertiti.  
Tho, there really are a lot of WWII hfs, but there aren't a ton Egyptian historical fictions that I've read.  Therefore, I was super excited to read this book.  I've visited Egypt and fell in love with many things.  Egyptian history is one I know a little about b/c of my visit there and my study abroad time in Jerusalem.  

Nefertiti by Michelle Moran is an historical fiction on the life of Nefertiti, obviously.  Moran actually has several historical fictions about strong females throughout history.  Just FYI for you if you are looking for a certain time period or just like hfs. 

I give this book 3.5 out of 5 stars in my book review.  To be honest, I listened to Nefertiti.  It was nice not to have to to butcher the names over and over again.  Another honesty point, I may not have finished the book had I not listened to it.  It was good and enjoyable, but it didn't grab me.  B/c I have so much on my TBR (To Be Read) pile I don't like to struggle to finish something.  

I think besides the fact that it wasn't a page turner for me, though it was an enjoyable read, it was also not completely historical.  I know historical fiction authors usually take some liberty with the facts, but it just seemed like more imagination and personal interpretation was used and not a ton of research was done.  For example, I was super excited to read about Nefertiti having twin girls.  I actually even told one of my book club friends, who has twins, this cool fact.  I wasn't until after I read the epilogue did I learn that there is no historical information regarding her having twins.  Though, I am still impressed she had 6 girls.  Dang Nerfertiti!  

On the plus side, the story is mostly clean.  There is reference to violence and sex, but there are no details of any kind.  I also think the character development was consistent and well done.  I liked the characters, and I especially liked Mutnodjmet (see what I mean about butchering the names?!).  Nefertiti's sister is likable and tells the story really well.  

If you love Egyptian history or if you love historical fictions you should give this one a read... and if you do read it, I'd love to hear what you think. 

Amazon had the following book description to give you a better idea of the storyline:  

"Nefertiti and her younger sister, Mutnodjmet, have been raised in a powerful family that has provided wives to the rulers of Egypt for centuries. Ambitious, charismatic, and beautiful, Nefertiti is destined to marry Amunhotep, an unstable young pharaoh. It is hoped that her strong personality will temper the young ruler’s heretical desire to forsake Egypt’s ancient gods.

From the moment of her arrival in Thebes, Nefertiti is beloved by the people but fails to see that powerful priests are plotting against her husband’s rule. The only person brave enough to warn the queen is her younger sister, yet remaining loyal to Nefertiti will force Mutnodjmet into a dangerous political game; one that could cost her everything she holds dear."


Happy Reading!

What are you reading right now?  I'm simultaneously reading a juvenile historical fiction and an adult mystery/suspense/thriller book, and I'm enjoying them both so far.      


No comments:

Post a Comment