Monday, January 25, 2016

Easy Applesauce {No Sugar Added} {Crock-Pot} {Healthy}

Homemade Applesauce in a Crock-pot with no sugar added.  Refreshing, delicious, healthy, diet friendly, and perfect for kids, babies, toddlers, and adults alike.  Alohamora Open a Book http://www.alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/ healthy, perfect food when sick,, stomach bug, easy, slow-cooker, amazing.

The first full week of the new year we had a horrible stomach bug hit our family.  We still had sensitive tummies for several days after the worst of the bug hit us.  It was during that time that we ate a lot of applesauce.  We try to follow the BRAT diet, bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast, to keep our sensitive stomachs feeling a little better.  

Applesauce was one thing that we couldn't get enough of.  I used to buy unsweetened organic applesauce, but then Sprouts, a local supermarket, had a steal of a deal of $1.98 for a 3lb bag of organic Braeburn apples.  Hello awesome!

With our love of applesauce I decided I'd have my hand at homemade applesauce.  After numerous batches of applesauce I have what I believe to be the BEST No Sugar Added Applesauce Recipe made in a crock-pot or slow-cooker.  My kids and husband agree that this applesauce is delicious, and like most things homemade it is better than what you get in the store.  

This applesauce recipe is ridiculously easy to make.  However, you must peel the apples which in my opinion is no fun, unless you have one these Apple Peeler Slicer Corer  found below.  They are amazing, and the absolute very best and easiest way to peel, slice, and core an apple.  

If you follow me on Instagram at @alohamoraopenabook you would've have seen this absolutely awesome kitchen tool. I borrowed this one from my mother in-law, and after using it I realized that I not only want one but NEED one.  

As a bonus, this one on Amazon got great reviews and is only $14 right now.  I will be purchasing one this week so I don't have to keep my MIL's for almost forever. 

I mean, applesauce is delicious year round, and this recipe makes the best applesauce with no added sugars or chemicals.  This applesauce is definitely healthy, diet friendly, and New Years Resolution friendly,    


    
Applesauce- No Sugar Added {Crock-Pot}
Recipe: Alohamora slightly adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Active Time: 25 minutes (peeling time included)
Inactive Time: 2-4 hours
Servings: 8-10

Ingredients: 
15 apples, medium sized or 3-4 lbs of apples 

  • Any variety of apples that have a sweeter taste will work great.  Some of my favorite ones to use are Braeburn, Gala, Golden Delicious, and of course Honeycrisp.  I'd avoid Red Delicious, Granny Smith, or Pink Ladies b/c their flavoring may not be best for apples.  Golden Delicious is your typical "applesauce" apple.    

2 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon, ground

Directions: 

  1. Peel, core, and slice your 15 apples.  Again I think these contraptions aka kitchen gadgets are worth their weight in gold.  
  2. Place your apples in a crock-pot and add the remaining two ingredients.
  3. Cover your crock-pot and cook on low for 4-5 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.  
  4. When apples are soft use an immersion blender to puree the apples until they reach your desired consistency.  We are smoother applesauce fans, but my sister says they are all about the chunky.  The joy of homemade food is you can make it to your liking. If you don't have an immersion blender transfer the apples to a blender, take out the topper and cover with a paper towel, and then blend. 
  5. Enjoy your applesauce hot, warm, or cold!  
  6. Store leftovers in the refrigerator

Happy Absolutely Delicious Easy Crock-Pot Homemade No Sugar Added Applesauce

1 comment: