Sunday, December 6, 2015

Luckiest Girl Alive gets 3.5 Stars

Luckiest Girl Alive gets 3.5 out of 5 stars in my book review.  This book has interesting and surprising aspects, but it isn't quite a page turner.  Good read, but dirty with a lot of language, violence, gang rape, school violence, and more.  Teenagers are cruel.  Alohamora Open a Book http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/ adult lit, popular book, psychological thriller.

When I first picked up this book I saw that it was related to Gone Girl  as another psychological thriller.  When I read Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessice Knoll I was anticipating a psychological thriller, a thriller even, but I will say that I would not compare this to Gone Girl.

I give Luckiest Girl Alive 3.5 out of 5 Stars.  I should start by saying that there is a lot of language, violence, and even a gang rape.  I would say this is an adult literature book with some psychological thriller aspects, but it is quite dirty of a read.

There were aspects of the story that were really quite interesting.  I didn't predict the story completely (though some parts were way to obvious and a bit ridiculous), and I was completely surprised by parts of it as well.

Ani at times completely frustrated me.  I realize she was a teenager when a lot happened, but the choices she made were infuriating.  Ani, at 28 years old, is frustrating as well for her choices and behavior.  

Overall, TifAni turned Ani, showed a lack of emotional growth and character development.  Throughout the story TifAni/Ani just appeared bitter and bratty, and it is difficult to like a character with no positive traits.

I do think the writing was good, but I didn't think it was great.  The way Knoll wrote Ani and that the story wasn't a page turner was what disappointed me the most about this highly talked about and marketed novel.  However, Knoll is a new author, and I think she has room for growth.  I would probably read another book by Knoll; which is actually saying something. 

So you can get a better idea of the story line Amazon had the following book description: 

"HER PERFECT LIFE IS A PERFECT LIE.

As a teenager at the prestigious Bradley School, Ani FaNelli endured a shocking, public humiliation that left her desperate to reinvent herself. Now, with a glamorous job, expensive wardrobe, and handsome blue blood fiancé, she’s this close to living the perfect life she’s worked so hard to achieve.

But Ani has a secret.

There’s something else buried in her past that still haunts her, something private and painful that threatens to bubble to the surface and destroy everything.

With a singular voice and twists you won’t see coming, Luckiest Girl Alive explores the unbearable pressure that so many women feel to “have it all” and introduces a heroine whose sharp edges and cutthroat ambition have been protecting a scandalous truth, and a heart that's bigger than it first appears.
The question remains: will breaking her silence destroy all that she has worked for—or, will it at long last, set Ani free?"   

Have you read Luckiest Girl Alive? What did you think, or are you going to be giving it a read?

Happy Reading! 




****SPOILER****



I did see the gang rape coming, b/c let's be honest who didn't see that coming?  However, I did not see, predict, or anticipate the school shooting.  I honestly did not anticipate that one.  I personally thought the story was about TifAni/Ani overcoming the rape. 

Regarding the end of the story, I was actually glad Ani showed a little wisdom, growth, and a little less selfishness.  I was glad Ani didn't follow through with the marriage.  Were you glad or sad about that? 


No comments:

Post a Comment