I'm a big fan of chocolate. I'm a big fan of Harry Potter. I love when those two loves come together; it is always amazingly delicious when it does.
In my favorite book of the series, Goblet of Fire, they have a welcoming feast. At this freast Ron Weasley shows his love for food and especially chocolate as he tries to convince Hermione to eat this Chocolate Gateau deliciousness even though the House-Elves had made it. If you recall Hermione was all about SPEW at this point.
I'm pretty much best friends with the Hogwart's House-Elves, and they hooked me up with this delicious recipe. I decided a Chocolate Gateau aka Chocolate Flourless Cake sounded amazing, but when I add Chocolate Mousse and a Chocolate Ganache Topping it pretty much makes this cake the best.
Triple Chocolate for triple goodness, and as an extra bonus it is naturally gluten free.
Triple Chocolate Gateau (Flourless Chocolate Cake) with Mousse and Ganache Topping
Recipe: Alohamora adapted from Allrecipes and OurBestBites
Active Time: 40 minutes
Inactive Time: 1 hour
Servings: 1- 8 or 9 inch round cake pan
For the Cake
1 (4oz) box semi-sweet baking chocolate
1/2 c. butter
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. cocoa powder
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Mousse
1 tsp unflavored gelatin
1 Tbsp cold water
2 Tbsp boiling water
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1 c. heavy whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla
For the Ganache
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips (milk, bitter, or whatever you have on hand)
2 Tbsp powder sugar
Reese's Pieces or candy of choice
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and grease and flour (or spray with a baking spray) an 8 or 9 inch round cake pan.
- In a double boiler, or the microwave, melt the baking chocolate and butter together.
- Add the remaining cake ingredients to the melted chocolate in a medium bowl and stir to combine everything.
- Evenly pour the cake batter into the pan and bake it at 300 degrees for 24-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes and then turn the cake out onto a wire rack.
- To make the mousse, combine the gelatin and the cold water into a mug. Let the gelatin mixture sit for 1 minute.
- Whisk the boiling water into the mug of gelatin and let it cool.
- In a stand mixer, or with a bowl and hand mixer, beat the sugar, cocoa, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla for about 3-5 minutes until stiff peaks form.
- Mix the gelatin into the mousse and refrigerate it for 30 minutes.
- For the ganache microwave the heavy whipping cream on high for 30 seconds.
- Pour the scalded whipping cream on top of the chocolate chips in a small bowl or pourable Pyrex measuring cup. Stir the chocolate and cream together until combined and the mixture is smooth.
- Add the powder sugar and stir it until it is smooth.
- Now assemble the cake/gateau by placing the cake first on the center of a large plate. Top the cake with an even layer of mousse reaching all the way to the edges. Finally, pour the ganache over the mousse. You can add the optional candy topping on the very top if you so desire.
- Refrigerate the cake, or brownies as my kiddos called it, until you are ready to serve. This is a great cake to make ahead of time if you need.
- Enjoy the triple chocolate goodness!
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
Happy Triple Chocolate Gateau (Flourless Cake) with Mousse and Ganache Topping eating just like Ron enjoyed at Hogwarts!