Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Cookie in my Cake aka Chocolate Cake with Cookie Dough Pieces Inside

Chocolate Birthday Cookies in my Cake cake.  This soft and moist cake has soft chewy cookies, that are almost cookie dough like but they are cooked inside and throughout the cake.  This cake was my toddler, 3 year old, son's requested birthday cake.  I'm sure glad he came up with a tasty one.  Alohamora Open a Book http://www.alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/ easily gluten free

I was going to say May is a busy month of birthdays, but I should clarify that this week is busy.  Today is my, now 4 year old, daughter's birthday.  Monday was my son's birthday; he is now 3 years old. 

Like most Moms, I let my kiddos make a request for what kind of cake they'd like.  Each kiddo each started requesting a cake that was a color.  My son was requesting an orange cake, and my daughter a pink cake.  

However, I guess at almost 3 and 4 years old you start to become a bit more particular or creative.

Finally, my son officially decided on a Cookie in my Cake cake.  When I asked him if he wanted cookies and cake he clarified with me that he wanted cookies in the cake.


Chocolate Birthday Cookies in my Cake cake.  This soft and moist cake has soft chewy cookies, that are almost cookie dough like but they are cooked inside and throughout the cake.  This cake was my toddler, 3 year old, son's requested birthday cake.  I'm sure glad he came up with a tasty one.  Alohamora Open a Book http://www.alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/ easily gluten free Check out the cookie dough piece in the cake; it is barely visable under the ganache.

So, I did my best to fullfill my child's request, and the outcome of this birthday cake request turned out quite good.  So good in fact that my husband stated when I open up my bakery (a dream/wish of mine) this cake could be one of my signature cakes.  

This chocolate cake is soft and flavorful, and the cookie pieces within the cake are also soft and chewy as if they are almost cookie dough like.  Basically, it's chocolate and cookie dough goodness in a cake, and it is amazingly delicious!  

I topped this Cookie in my Cake bundt cake with a chocolate ganache frosting and crumbled up cookies.  It's an easy cake to decorate, but it is fancy and elegant looking.  

For those gluten free bakers, I have made this cake with gluten free flour (I used this Bob's Red Mill flour, and it's on sale right now) and it tasted great as well.  


Chocolate Birthday Cookies in my Cake cake.  This soft and moist cake has soft chewy cookies, that are almost cookie dough like but they are cooked inside and throughout the cake.  This cake was my toddler, 3 year old, son's requested birthday cake.  I'm sure glad he came up with a tasty one.  Alohamora Open a Book http://www.alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/ easily gluten free Check out the cookie dough piece in the cake; it is barely visable under the ganache.

Cookie in my Cake aka Chocolate Cake w/ Cookie Dough Pieces Inside
Recipe: Alohamora
Active Time: 25 minutes
Inactive Time: At least 2 hours
Servings: 1 bundt cake at least 8-10 large slices

Ingredients: 
For the Cake:
2 c. flour, unbleached all-purpose
2 c. sugar
2/3 c. cocoa, unsweetened
1/2 tsp salt
1 c. buttermilk 
2 eggs, large
1 c. oil, vegetable or canola
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c. boiling water
1 tsp baking soda
9 frozen chocolate chip cookie dough balls

For the Ganache:
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
1 c. chocolate chips, milk or semi-sweet
2 Tbsp powder sugar

Optional Toppings:1 cookie, crumbled
Directions: 
  1. For this cake recipe you will need some frozen cookie dough balls.  I make my own using this recipe b/c it's is pretty much the best chocolate chip cookie recipe ever.  However, you can use any frozen cookie dough balls you prefer or have on hand.  You can make these cookie dough balls days or even weeks ahead of time.  Plus, nobody minds having some cookie dough in the freezer. :)
  2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. 
  3. Grease and flour or use a baking spray to thoroughly coat the inside of your bundt pan. You can use a 9x13 pan if you would like; I just think bundt pan cakes are so darn cute with ganache and easy to do. 
  4. In a large bowl mix your dry ingredients. 
  5. Add the buttermilk (you can do the milk/lemon juice substitute if you'd like but you need to do that first and set it aside for 5 minutes), eggs, oil, and vanilla to the bowl and stir well to combine well.  It will be thick.  
  6. In a small bowl add the baking soda to the boiling water and then stir. 
  7. Finally, add the water/soda mixture to your batter and stir well until the cake batter is smooth.  It will be relatively thin.  
  8. Pour 1/3 of your batter into your prepared pan, place a layer of 5 cookie dough balls in the pan, pour another third of your batter onto the cookie dough balls, and place the remaining frozen cookie dough balls around the cake.  Finally, pour the remaining batter on top.  If you prefer you can pour all of the batter into the pan, and then evenly distribute the cookie dough balls in the cake batter and press them in until completely covered.  
  9. Bake the cake at 325 for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the middle is set.  If you are cooking it in a 9x13 pan you will probably bake it just a few minutes less.  I have also cooked my cake for 50 minutes and then turned the oven off, opened the door slightly, and left the cake in the oven to cool.  
  10. Take the cake out of the oven and let it cool on a cooling rack until it is almost completely cool or at least until you can touch the pan with your bare hands. 
  11. When the cake is cool flip the cake onto a plate; this will be the plate you are serving the cake on.
  12. Let the cake cool for at least an hour or until it is completely cool. 
  13. When the cake is completely cool you can add the ganache to the cake.  You can also wait until just before serving to make and pour the ganache.   
  14. To make the ganache, scald a half a cup of heavy whipping cream in the microwave for 30-45 seconds.  
  15. In a small pourable bowl, I use my glass measuring cup, place your chocolate chips. 
  16. Pour your scalded heavy whipping cream over the chocolate chips and stir it until the chips are melted and the ganache is smooth.  This usually takes 3-5 minutes.
  17. Finally, stir in the powder sugar until the ganache is smooth. 
  18. Evenly pour your ganache over your cake. 
  19. Top your cake with cooked cookie crumbs
  20. Serve and enjoy!
  21. Store leftovers in a sealed/airtight container in the fridge.  With birthdays so close together we have a lot of cake in our refrigerator right now.  :) Come on over. 

Happy Chocolate Cookie in my Cake eating! 



2 comments: