Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Birthday Menu

Yesterday was my birthday; I am now in my mid 30s (34 to be exact).  Last year my husband claimed 33 years old is your mid 30s, but I think he was just being ridiculous.  

We took a poll last year.  Most everyone agreed that 31, 32, and 33 are your early 30s, and 34, 35, 36 are your mid 30s.  Leaving 37, 38, and 39 to be your late 30s.  Doesn't that make sense and sound reasonable?  It's ridiculous to think otherwise.  

So, yesterday was my birthday however my family and I were flying back from a vacation in North Carolina.  I went to grad school there, we have friends there, and it's fun to go new places and experiences new things as a family.  This vacation is the reason for my absence for the past week.  Sorry about that y'all.

Flying home on your birthday would not have been that big of a deal.  However, getting food poisoning on Monday (I swear it was the Mayo in this sauce we had), the day before you fly home, and being 8 months pregnant made for a memorable birthday to say the least.  

Yesterday, I really didn't want to eat anything really except some saltine crackers b/c of the whole unfortunate food poisoning incident.  Therefore, I really didn't get to celebrate my birthday because let's be honest, birthdays are all about the food.  

On the plus side of my birthday being so "memorable," I at least get to extend my birthday celebrations for a week or so.  


Our family has a tradition that the birthday boy or girl gets to pick what we eat for dinner as well as what kind of cake he/she wants.  

To make my husband's life a little easier, he got food poisoning too so I can't make things too difficult for him, I've made up a little birthday menu for what I want him to make.  Everything on this list is 
relatively easy to make.  My husband, as well as most husbands, should be able to handle them easily or with little assistance. 


Healthy vegetarian Fall/Autumn dish- Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchilada Casserole is AMAZINGLY delicious for dinner!  Alohamora Open a Book http://www.alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/


Right now, Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas sound absolutely perfect for my birthday dinner.  They are meatless and have the most amazing spicy Fall flavor with tons of hearty goodness to them.  This enchilada casserole is healthy, absolutely delicious, and the squash just screams Autumn goodness.   I LOVE them, and I love the leftovers; I could honestly eat these leftovers for days. 


For my birthday cake I'm giving my husband options... though both options are chocolate which I love and he doesn't love so much.  However, it is my birthday so I can be selfish, right? 

Option #1, this Small yet Amazing Chocolate Cake (that is oh so chocolaty and moist) with a light Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting and Topped with a Chocolate Peanut Butter Ganache.   

We had this cake for my son's 2 year old birthday back in May and I'm still dreaming about it on a weekly basis.  


Small (6 inch cake easily double recipe for 9 inch pan) yet Amazing Chocolate Cake (oh so chocolaty and moist) with a light Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting and Topped with a Chocolate Peanut Butter Ganache.  Top it all with Reese's for a purely heavenly dessert and one that I want for my birthday..  Alohamora Open a Book http://www.alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

Though, I will also happily enjoy the Dark Chocolate Cake with Malted Double Chocolate Frosting that we had to celebrate Harry Potter's birthday back in July.  

I most definitely love the dark chocolate flavor in this moist make from scratch but seriously easy to make cake. I thoroughly enjoyed every single bite of this cake, and wouldn't mind eating it again.  

Dark Chocolate Cake (moist with such dark chocolate flavor) with a Malted Double Chocolate Frosting is simple to make.  I made this for Harry Potter's birthday, but I am craving it for my own.  Alohamora Open a Book Small (6 inch cake easily double recipe for 9 inch pan) yet Amazing Chocolate Cake (oh so chocolaty and moist) with a light Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting and Topped with a Chocolate Peanut Butter Ganache.  Top it all with Reese's for a purely heavenly dessert and one that I want for my birthday..  Alohamora Open a Book http://www.alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/
  
As you can tell I am all about chocolate cake this year.  However, every year is a chocolate cake kind of year.  I really do love chocolate.  I find a great chocolate cake, like these two, is worth every single calorie.  

Plus, I am pretty positive a healthy vegetarian dinner will most definitely counteract the large piece of cake I am going to enjoy for dessert as well as the next day for breakfast.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment