I have been on an enchilada kick lately. I'm all about the homemade sauce b/c it's absolutely banging, and I like the option of the enchilada casserole (aka a layering method rather than rolling) b/c it is faster and you have more control over the size of the enchilada you eat.
Now, I used to be all about meal planning. It was awesome, and I still love it. However, to be honest, since becoming pregnant I just can't seem to plan anymore. I honestly never know what is going to sound good. It's annoying not planning, but sometimes I come up with some brilliantly tasty meals as a result of my last minute thinking.
Recently, I was trying to decide what to have to for dinner, and since enchiladas always sound good I went that route. Though, I had to change it up a little for my family. Crazy husband and kids don't like to eat the same thing over and over and over again. Spinach, black beans, and chicken were easily accessible and sounded delicious together.
This Creamy Red Enchilada Casserole with Chicken, Spinach and Black Beans is the awesome deliciousness that resulted.
I love the creaminess the Greek yogurt adds and the flavor from the homemade red sauce is pretty much to die for. The chicken, spinach, and black beans are all healthy, quick to cook (I used some frozen cooked chicken, but rotisserie chicken would do the same), and compliment one another perfectly. It's a fabulous combination, and I am surprised it took me this long to come up with.
I love the way this enchilada filling looks and tastes. A-ma-zing! You should give this enchilada a go. It's perfect for a small family, but could easily be doubled for a 9x13 pan.
Creamy Red Enchilada Casserole w/ Chicken, Spinach, and Black Beans
Active Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 4-6 people
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 c. onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 c. spinach, washed
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tsp sugar
1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
1/4 c. water
3/4 c. Greek yogurt
1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
2 c. cooked chicken, diced
1 1/2 c. monterey jack cheese, shredded
1 1/2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
12 corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and pull out a 9x9 inch pan.
- Lightly coat a large saucepan with the olive oil or a cooking spray.
- Over medium to low heat place the onion, garlic, and spinach into the pan. Cook 3-5 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent and the spinach leaves are cooked and wilted..
- Add the spices and stir until flavorful (about 30 seconds).
- Add the sugar, tomato sauce, water, Greek yogurt, black beans, and chicken to the spices. Stir to combine it all and bring the sauce mixture in the pan to a boil. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in half of the cheese (either all monterey jack, all cheddar, or a mixture).
- In the bottom of your 9x9 inch pan layer 4 corn tortillas.
- Pour 1/3 of the sauce, about 1 cup, on top of the layer of corn tortillas.
- Add a thin layer of cheese using whichever cheese or combination you prefer.
- Repeat the corn tortillas, sauce, and cheese layer two more times and finish with as much cheese on top as you desire.
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes until the enchilada casserole is heated through.