Next Friday is a big grilling day here the good ole' USA. It's the 4th of July, and one of my favorite holidays. Yummy food, fireworks, and summer fun.
I love a good BBQ on the fourth, but to be honest I love grilling all summer long. Doesn't everyone?
I like the idea of burgers, but I LOVE the idea of black bean burgers. I've tried all different kinds including a chipotle one I made up that is spicy deliciousness.
I love how filling black bean burgers are. I love how non-greasy they are, and I especially love how healthy they are. I definitely feel skinny eating them, and I then feel completely justified enjoying the cheesecake or other sweets around.
These Grilled Pineapple Teriyaki Black Bean Burgers are sweet, flavorful, hearty, and all around the best and healthiest thing on your grill. They are vegetarian and easily gluten free. We're big fans here.
Even the leftovers warmed up in the microwave are amazing! It's almost like the flavor is even better.
If you've never had a black bean burger I highly suggest it. They are easy to make and even easier to grill b/c you're just heating it through. The texture of the black bean burger is a bit different than a beef burger, but that is the same for any veggie burger.
To be honest, even my husband, who struggled with the thought of green smoothies b/c they are healthy for you and things Boca burgers or the like are disgusting, loved the flavor of these burgers and happily eats them every time I make them. Which to be honest is pretty much anytime I'm craving a burger.
So, if you are looking for a healthier skinny take to your 4th of July barbecue/BBQ this year give these a go. You'll love the flavor, and your waistline will love you.
Recipe: Alohamora adapted from Taste of Home
Active Time: 30-45 minutes
Inactive Time: 1 hour
Servings: 7-8 large burgers
2 cans (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 c. red onion, diced
1/3 c. red bell pepper, chopped
1 can (8oz) crushed pineapple, drained well
1 tsp cilantro
1/4 c. Teriyaki sauce
2 eggs, large
3/4 c. bread crumbs
1-2 c. tortilla chips, crushed
- Line a cookie sheet/pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- In a medium to large bowl place your black beans and mash them using a fork or a potato masher. You can use a blender or immersion blender, but be careful to not over blend it.
- In a food processor or blender finely chop the onion, bell pepper, and pineapple until finely chopped and ground together. Add the mixture to the mashed black beans.
- Add the cilantro, Teriyaki sauce, eggs, and bread crumbs to the mixture one at a time mixing well with each addition.
- Finally, add the hand crushed tortilla chips to the bowl and stir. Start with 1 cup of tortilla chips and keep adding until it is to the texture you prefer. It will be sticky when you form your patties, but it shouldn't be wet.
- Using your hands form burger patties. The black bean burgers won't shrink when cooked; they keep their form. I usually form 7-8 large burgers and place them on the prepared pan.
- Place your burgers in the freezer for at least an hour, but you can leave them overnight as well. I've had them in the freezer for days and they still taste great.
- Throw them on the grill when you are ready. Cook the burgers until they are heated through, and enjoy them!
- Serve them with guacomole, BBQ sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, or whatever else you prefer.
Happy healthy Grilled Pineapple Teriyaki Black Bean Burgers eating!