These Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas are fast and easy to make from scratch, gluten free, full of a delicious sweet and spicy smoky chipotle flavor, the perfect level of spiciness for kids and adults, and an ideal size for a smaller family.
I had a good many single years, and now we have a small family of four. There are often times I make a casserole in a 9x13 pan and it is absolutely huge for our small family. We end up eating the leftovers for days and days. I'm too cheap to throw it out, so we eat whatever I make for lunch and dinner.
However, it didn't even matter how much we loved the dinner the first night. By the 5th or 6th meal of eating it you don't want to eat it for a long long time. Which kind of makes me sad when I make a favorite meal.
However, one night I had a brilliant idea to make a smaller enchilada casserole. This enchilada recipe is absolutely delicious and works perfectly in a 9x9 inch pan. However, if you have a big family or teenagers that eat ridiculous amounts at a time you can simply double the recipe for a 9x13 casserole dish. Everyone is happy with this delicious recipe.
I again used the chipotle white cheddar cheese I used in the tasty Chipotle Mac & Cheese. However, I've made this same recipe without the chipotle cheese and it is still absolutely amazing.
Though, if you are interested in the cheese I have found Walmart consistently carries it, and with the price match deal that they do you can get a banging deal.
For this recipe I personally love using rotisserie chicken b/c it makes life so easy, but feel free to cook or boil some chicken or used canned chicken for this recipe. It all still tastes delicious. Whether you use shredded or diced chicken it will still taste great.
I also prefer black beans with these enchiladas, but my husband loves it with pinto beans. Feel free to use which ever beans you prefer.
I love that this enchilada recipe is flexible to what you have on hand and the size you need. It all tastes delicious; the spices and flavors is what really makes these enchiladas amazing!
Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas for Four/Small Dish
Active Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 15 minutes
1/4 c. onion, diced
1/2 of a chipotle pepper, finely diced (increase for more spice)
1/8 tsp chipotle pepper sauce (increase for more spice)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp chipotle chile pepper/powder (increase for more spice)
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder (increase for more spice)
2 tsp sugar
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
3/4 c. water
1/2 can (1 c.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 c. cooked chicken, diced
1 c. chipotle white cheddar cheese, grated
1-2 c. cheddar cheese, grated
12 corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and pull out a 9x9 inch pan.
- Spray with olive oil or pour a dash of olive oil to lightly coat a large saucepan.
- Over medium to low heat place the onion, chipotle pepper, sauce, and garlic into the pan. Cook until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the spices and stir until flavorful (about 30 seconds).
- Add the sugar, tomato sauce, water, black beans, and chicken to the spices. Bring the sauce mixture in the pan to a boil and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in 1 cup of cheese, either all cheddar or a mixture of chipotle white cheddar and cheddar.
- In the bottom of your 9x9 inch pan layer 4 corn tortillas.
- Pour 1/3 of the sauce, about 1 cup, on top of the layer of corn tortillas.
- Add a thin layer of cheese using whichever cheese or combination you prefer.
- Repeat the corn tortillas, sauce, and cheese layer two more times and finish with as much cheese on top as you desire.
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes until the enchilada casserole is heated through.