Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Just in case you haven't read them...

You most definitely should! Now, I know that these books are very big and popular right now. Many people have at least heard about them if they haven't read them. They are actually making a movie out of the first book, expected to release in 2011 sometime. I just hope the movie is as good as the book; however, I can't get my hopes up too high. They completely botched The Lightning Thief, and to be honest I get a bit nervous for every book based movie. I have such high expectations, and rarely do they live up to them. I am constantly having to remind myself that the book and the movie are 2 different mediums, and I just need to enjoy them each for what they have to offer. Don't worry, it's not like this makes me not complain about the movie. Actually, on a side note... the best book based movie I've seen that followed the book amazingly well was Holes.

Alright, on to the Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins. Hunger Games is the first one, Catching Fire comes next, and lastly is Mockingjay. This is a series that you do need to read in order. I have actually been following the series ever since my good friend Sarah gave me the first book as a present way back in 2007 or 2008. I have thoroughly enjoyed the series for how well the story was written. I also found the story quite captivating and an enjoyable but yet not predictable, for me at least, story. Almost, every person I have recommended this series to has absolutely loved it. I actually even got my husband to read the series. For those of you that know my husband know that he is all about the non-fiction. He loves to read, but he loves his non-fiction. I am much more of a fiction girl. This actually seems to follow normal boy and girl reading patterns. Anyway, even my husband enjoyed the series.

Therefore, if you haven't read them and you are looking for a book that boys and girls, and the young and the old will like... then definitely give these a try. There is action, adventure, a little sci fi, realistic fiction, and even a little bit of a cute romance (but nothing ridiculous). It is a hard story to choose a genre for. Though, you don't have to know the genre to enjoy the book. I personally love the first the most, but I actually really enjoyed and loved all three books. There were things that surprised me, and things that I had to discuss with students, friends, and my husband when they finished the series. All in all, it is a great story and everyone is reading them so... you should too. :) Hey, that last push was just in case you give into peer pressure. Don't let the last statement have you rebel just because you don't want to be like everyone else.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that if you haven't read The Hunger Games series then you should give them a shot. If you have read them, let me know your thoughts on the series. Did you like them as much as I did?

1 comment:

  1. I agree about Holes!! I've thought that ever since I read the book, and thought afterwards "hey, I didn't really need to read the book, they were exactly the same!" :) Anyway, thanks for this, I know these books are crazy popular but I just have not gotten around to even looking into them yet. So thanks again for the review!

    ReplyDelete