Sunday, April 18, 2010

Oldies But Goodies

After reading the Newbery books and talking with Sarah we realized that some, including she and I, have probably missed out on reading some of those "Oldies but Goodies" books. You know, those books that have been around for a good long while. Those books that have consistently been checked out from the library for many many years because they are that good.

As a result of being a little quirky ourselves, we have decided that we'd give y'all a choice between 3 classic books that have a little bit of quirkiness to them.

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

This book, as you probably noticed in When You Reach Me, is referenced in many books. It is one of the first soft Sci-Fi type of books for children published way back in 1962. It actually won the Newbery, and when you read the book you will realize why. The main characters, 3 children, are dealing with time and space travel in an adventure to save their father and much more. This is the first book in a series of four known as the Time Quartet. If this is the lucky book you decided to read, you will not be disappointed. You will most likely be glad that you have finally read this classic book that has been referenced in more books than you will ever realize.

The Giver by Lois Lowry

If the last time you read this book was in middle school or high school, or if you haven't read the book at all, it is time you read it. The Giver is a book that is set in the future in a Utopian type of society. You will be so intrigued the entire time you are reading this book, it will cause you to want to keep turning it's pages. It is a short book, but a fabulous story with a complex and fascinating theme. This book also won the Newbery in 1994, though it has been controversial.

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg

This fabulous book, another Newbery winner, is an enjoyable read. It keeps you intrigued throughout by highlighting the adventure and mystery Claudia and James have while living in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. They become fascinated with the history/mystery of an Angel statue Michelangelo might have crafted. Now, if you haven't read this book check it out from the library. It is another oldie but goodie that everyone should read.

Choose one or all of these to read. They are quick reads that you will enjoy and yet become a little more well versed with the children's classics. Enjoy these "Oldies but Goodies!"

2 comments:

  1. The Giver by Lois Lowry

    The last time I read this book I was in 8th or 9th grade. I actually couldn’t really remember any details about the book. After reading it, I am glad I read it again. The Giver is a book that caused the emotions of sadness, shock, and happiness. It also caused me to be curious about what was going to happen next, and it caused me to think a little deeper about our society. It was a short quick read, that I truly enjoyed on many levels. I can clearly tell why this book won they Newbery Medal. If you have not read it, or if it has been awhile, pick it up again. I was talking to someone the other day, and they said they didn’t like it when they were in school. I wonder if it is one of those books that you appreciate much more when you are older and think at a different and deeper level. Just a thought… what did you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Giver: Why I Don't Like It (and why I do):
    As a kid, I had the same like-dislike relationship with The Giver as I do now, for pretty much the same reasons--although I'm better able to articulate those reasons now. I like the fact that The Giver has a deeper message that even young children can understand. This is not a book with one message for kids and one for adults. That being said, I feel like the message is the only thing this book has going for it. I didn't find a single sympathetic character in this whole book! Even the main character is a little bit boring. I know that the author didn't make the characters colorful and interesting on purpose... and it serves the whole idea... but that doesn't change the fact that they're boring. Speaking to the point about not liking it as a kid, I think I felt really irritated by how much adults liked/wanted me to like this book. Sometimes that can scare kids off, I think, because it seems like the book isn't really for kids.

    I read A Wrinkle in Time for the first time and I really loved it. I was very surprised by it; it wasn't what I expected. I'm glad I didn't read it as a kid though because I think it would have confused/irritated me.

    I will ALWAYS love the Mixed Up Files and still dream about living in a museum.

    ReplyDelete