Monday, March 8, 2010

A Royal Disaster

I felt that we always don't need to have a long extensive review. Therefore, this time around I am just doing a paragraph review. If you would like to write a short review, or just state that you liked a book or didn't like a book PLEASE feel free to comment. It makes me happy to see/hear others reading.
Out of the 5 books, there was only one that I enjoyed. The Printz award book Going Bovine by Libba Bray was, to be honest with you, a book that I couldn’t even finish. After 2 pages, there were so many swear words, at places that honestly didn’t need it, that I felt uncomfortable. I kept reading, secretly hoping, that I would get to the part of the book that all the reviews stated were funny and worthy of the award. However, I guess I don’t have the same humor as the author. I felt like the author was trying too hard to be a teenager and write a YA book. I was, approximately, 10 pages into Going Bovine before I realized the narrator/main character was a boy. That could’ve been my fault for missing a part of the story, but I honestly think it wasn’t obvious. The book just wasn’t that great. Now, I would hope that the book would get better. Usually the Printz Award book is really good. I would know because I have ready plenty of them. I was thoroughly disappointed with this winner. Not everyone has the same opinions about swear words as me, but I feel this book had too many and seemed to distract and take away from the story. All in all, I didn’t finish it because I was uncomfortable with the language and situations in the book. I apologize to anyone that went to read this book, on behalf of the book club, and did not approve of the content. Now, I did warn you YA books can be not so clean, but I didn’t think the Printz Award book would be so disappointing and dirty.
On a better note, The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey was surprisingly good. If I needed to sum up this book in one word, I would say “descriptive.” Rick Yancey did a fantastic job of describing the stories and the characters. I felt like I truly came to know and understand, as much as he let us understand, the curious characters that they were. Though the descriptive nature of the book caused me to say out loud, “ewwww gross” and make a disgruntled look on my face, the descriptions is what made the story. I could smell, see, and almost feel the monsters. I could feel the emotions of Will Henry, and I came to understand how he became the way he was. I did enjoy how the story completed itself and came full circle even though I was unsure how that circle was going to come about. All in all, the book was an enjoyable read for different reasons than normal. It is not a beach read, and I wouldn’t say I loved it. However, I’m glad I read it.
What did you think of the books you read?

4 comments:

  1. I wholeheartedly LOVED Monstrumologist; maybe because I thought I would hate it, but it really surprised me. It's really gory and creepy but has a really good story and some very strong characters. Also, it had an interesting setting as well. It reminded me a lot of Octavian Nothing: Traitor to the nation but with a LOT faster pace and obviously different subject matter (although... you could probably still draw some comparisons. Both discuss what makes man human and what makes him animal in nature.) I definitely feel like it was a book that made me think long after I finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only book available at the library was Going Bovine and I made it to the eleventh chapter, but was uncomfortable. The language was too strong and the situations seemed a bit extreme. I too kept reading it in the hope that the language would calm down and more of the story would come out.

    I'll have to read Monstrumologist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Manda I am sorry that you were uncomfortable reading that book. I sure hope this doesn't turn you away from our book club!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Monstrumologist was absolutely amazing. It was incredibly vivid, but even the gory details were plot-driven and really made me feel as though I were right alongside Will and Pellinore. Great book (thanks for telling about it, Sarah!)

    ReplyDelete